Wednesday, February 20, 2013

How Do You Know You Are Free?

A girl asked that searching question of a friend a while back; he mentioned it to my husband and me in a later conversation. She may not have been asking me but I want to take a try at answering it. After all, Grow Barefoot promotes itself as a ministry to “Live Free · Pursue Holiness · No Excuses.” Besides, it’s a valid question for anyone who isn’t experiencing the freedom of a relationship with God.

The simple answer is that I know I’m free because Jesus told me I am as a believer in His truth. “If you hold to my teaching, you are really my disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free…If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed” (John 8:31-32, 36).

That is a common, yet powerful, passage. But how does it play out in our lives? What does the life of a person living in freedom look like? I went through my past writing and compiled a list of attitudes that are evident in the life of such a person.



CONTROL ISSUES – 

I recognize that God is in control. If He is in control, then I’m not. Not having to control every issue frees me to rest and trust in His sovereignty. To read more on letting go of control issues…


FOCUS – 

I recognize it’s not all about me. It’s not even all about those around me. It’s all about God. Seeing God as the primary focus frees me to maintain a pre-determined order of priorities. I can let go of anything that doesn’t fit within those priorities. Those priorities give me a different set of standards and a different purpose which will be worth it in the end. To read more on maintaining your focus…


NO FEAR – 

I recognize persecution will come and I’m ok with that. I recognize God may call me to do something outside my comfort zone and I’m ok with that. Letting go of the fear frees me to do what God wants me to do. To read more about facing your fears…


LIVE AND LET LIVE – 

I recognize other believers are going to be different than me. God didn’t make us all in one mold; He doesn’t want us to live in one mold. Rejoicing in other’s differences frees me to be who God created me to be. To read more about being yourself & letting others do the same…


GOD EXTENDS GRACE – 

I recognize that grace is fundamental to my salvation and to my relationships with others. This point really ties together the previous one and the next one. Once we’ve basked in the wonder of God’s grace, imprisonment is no longer an option for us. To read more about the foundation of grace…


I’M REDEEMED – 

I recognize that nothing I do merits entry into heaven; most of it merits eternity in hell. Despite that, God loves me. He initiated a plan to reverse my course. He sent His Son to die for my sin. With His resurrection, hell was defeated. Satan can now claim no right over me as a follower of Christ. Resting in the surety of my salvation frees me to live fully, both now and for eternity with Him. To read more about the freedom of our salvation…

Here’s one more that I can’t narrow down to one or even two categories. It hits on all six of these points of freedom. She is a…a… Sinner!

If you’re a follower of Christ, you are already free. Hopefully this article has helped you reflect on whether or not you’re living like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment