Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Grace for Gravy

“Mom, what’s your favorite Thanksgiving food?”
My mind started sorting through each of the holiday favorites. The sweet potatoes with the crunchy nut topping? The juicy turkey slices? The sweet pecan pie – no wait, maybe the creamy pumpkin pie. I had a hard time choosing only one until I realized exactly which one is my favorite.
The beauty and perfection of the Thanksgiving meal is…
The thing that makes us look forward to it for the whole month of November is…
…all of it.
All of the foods come together on your plate in a symphony of tastes. A bite of turkey with a little bit of mashed potatoes on it. Follow that bite with a taste of stuffing or your dinner roll that soaked up a little juice from the cranberry fruit salad.
The Thanksgiving meal has to be complete or it just isn’t quite as satisfying. Sweet potato casserole on any old Thursday night is still good – but not as good as it is on Thanksgiving.
As I finished making pies for our feast this year, I thought about this conversation with my daughter and realized its similarity to one of my favorite parts of heaven.
The beauty and perfection of heaven is that all who believe in Christ as there Savior will be there. Every nation. Every tribe. Every race and every people group will represent before the throne of God.
“And they sang a new song: ‘You are worthy to take the scroll and to open its seals, because you were slain, and with your blood you purchased men for God from every tribe and language and people and nation’” (Revelation 5:9).
“After this I looked and there before me was a great multitude that no one could count, from every nation, tribe, people and language, standing before the throne and in front of the Lamb. They were wearing white robes and were holding palm branches in their hands” (Revelation 7:9).
The scene won’t be complete unless we’re all there.
I told my brother about the conversation with my daughter regarding our favorite Thanksgiving foods. I liked his answer, “Gravy – because it goes over all of it. You pour it on the turkey, the stuffing, the potatoes, and it makes it all good.”
I laugh as I think about that now. Maybe gravy is the grace that Christ poured out over each one of us who follow Him. Maybe gravy is the grace that covers us all with His righteousness so He can present us faultless before the throne. The gravy makes us good.

Have a blessed and gracious Thanksgiving.



2 comments:

  1. Great post today-right on target. Gravy is the Grace-love it. To me heaven is full of all races and nations and tribes as you said. A place where peace and love prevail thus there is no hate, no skewed opinions, no ostracizing. Just our loved ones and peace. That's why Thanksgiving is so wonderful, no material gifts, just gifts of the heart. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen!! Love it makes sense, and I will be sharing this with my kids too! What a great and simple way to incorporate this message! Loved it.

    ReplyDelete