Monday, October 4, 2010

She is a...a...Sinner!

Now one of the Pharisees invited Jesus to have dinner with him, so he went to the Pharisee's house and reclined at the table. When a woman who had lived a sinful life in that town learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee's house, she brought an alabaster jar of perfume, and as she stood behind him at his feet weeping, she began to wet his feet with her tears. Then she wiped them with her hair, kissed them and poured perfume on them. When the Pharisee who had invited him saw this, he said to himself, "If this man were a prophet, he would know who is touching him and what kind of woman she is-that she is a sinner" (Luke 7:36-39).

This story from Luke reminds me of three kinds of people in this world.

The First Group 

...sits inside the church and thinks, “This is a good place to be. I’m comfortable here. How dare anyone come in here with their alcoholism, or drug abuse, or divorce, or this, or that.” And so they sit, inside, thinking.




The Second Group 

...sits outside the church and thinks, “I wonder what’s going on in there. Something is missing in my life and something deep within me thinks the church might be able to help. But I can’t go in because of my alcoholism, or drug abuse, or divorce, or this, or that.” And so they sit, outside, wondering.



The Third Group 

...kneels at the feet of Jesus and doesn’t say or think a word. They don’t have to because their actions speak more than their words ever could. They've come face-to-face with their own depravity and recognized their inability to overcome it. Tears stream down their faces and land on the feet of Jesus. Each tear cries out, “Take my alcoholism, my drug abuse, my divorce, my lying, my stealing, my anger, my indifference, my vulgarity, my…” So they kneel, at His feet, forgiven.


Therefore, I tell you, her many sins have been forgiven – for she loved much. But he who has been forgiven little loves little. 
Luke 7:47

But it doesn't end there. The third group of people doesn't just sit there. With the glory and the beauty of their encounter with Christ ever forefront in their minds, they rise up and leave the home of the Pharisee. Each one goes to a different place where Christ has told them to go. Each one has a unique job for the kingdom. But they all go, and they go in peace.

Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
Luke 7:50

2 comments:

  1. Another well written blog. Exactly my feelings...God has allowed each & every one of us to kneel at His feet & accept his love for us & continue in peace.
    Judge not...that ye be not judged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathi, I love this comparison of the three.

    With the glory and the beauty of their encounter with Christ ever forefront in their minds, they rise up and leave the home of the Pharisee. --- this is so true... if we are changed by our encounter with Christ... we will get up and go in peace.

    ReplyDelete