Monday, April 11, 2011

Convergence

Somewhere around 312,000 weeks have occurred since God created Adam in the Garden of Eden but only one changed eternity for all mankind.

Three years ago today I was standing in the Garden of Gethsemane. Later that same day I went to the Garden Tomb where Jesus might have been buried. As we approach Resurrection Sunday, the memories of those places have been filling my thoughts.

Added to those memories, my Sunday morning class has been studying the Last Supper and the journey from the Upper Room to the Garden of Gethsemane. 


Plus, I have been helping my daughter do a school unit on the last days of Jesus' life. 

In addition, I have been writing lessons on knowing that Jesus is the Christ and knowing our sins are forgiven for my next Bible study, Everything We Need: God's Path to Know Him Better.

Add to those memories and studies the preparations we are doing for the upcoming holiday. We will celebrate Passover with some good friends. My husband will play John in a Last Supper skit our church will be doing on Resurrection Sunday.

Convergence is the word that keeps going through my mind. 


All of these events converge at one point – the point that split time in half and changed the world – the crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Jesus humbled Himself and gave Himself to die on the cross. Because He did, Satan was defeated, mankind was redeemed, and the Father was glorified.


When they came to the place called the Skull,
there they crucified him,…

Jesus said,
“Father, forgive them,
for they do not know what they are doing.”

…There was a written notice above him,
which read;
THIS IS THE KING OF THE JEWS….

It was now about the sixth hour,
and darkness came over the whole land until the ninth hour,
for the sun stopped shining.
And the curtain of the temple was torn in two.
Jesus called out with a loud voice,
“Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”
When he had said this,
he breathed his last.
(Luke 23:33-34,38,44-46 NIV)


No comments:

Post a Comment