Wednesday, March 12, 2014

I Do Believe; Help Me!

A friend of mine, Sheri Kaetzel, recently returned from her first mission trip to Africa. In case you’re wondering, this wasn’t a Grow Barefoot trip. Not that it matters because, after all, we’re all working for the kingdom of God. We’re all trying to fulfill the same great commission. We’re all trying to spread a message of hope and light to a dark world. But I just wanted you to know.

I loved reading her trip stories at her blog, The Leaking Window. This particular one, however, I knew I had to pass along so I asked her to share here on Grow Barefoot. I wanted to share it because she reveals her fears, sense of inadequacy, and lack of belief in undertaking a short term trip to a difficult region. But she went anyway. She stepped out in faith, trusted God, prayed for help, and in so doing, accomplished what God asked of her.

That’s what He asks of each of us – a little faith and trust, some prayer, and some action. Even if we never leave American soil, He calls each of us to serve Him somewhere…with someone…in some way…everyday.

So, thank you, Sheri, for being faithful. And thank you for sharing your story with us!

For this thinker-type personality my thoughts are hard to formulate about our recent trip to Africa. There are so many words and thoughts, but making them land on my keyboard seems a bit difficult. But I will force them out because if I don't I fear they might be lost. And that would be tragic.

At the beginning of the trip Pastor Ray Noah tackled the questions that were plaguing almost all of us throughout the trip: Lord, why am I here? What do I have to offer? He admitted he still wondered himself. But he felt God had given him a word to embrace: BELIEVE.

“I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!”
Mark 9:24

  • BELIEVE... you are here in God's will. No matter how you got here.
  • BELIEVE... you are here for a divine purpose.
  • BELIEVE... you are walking in God's provision.
  • BELIEVE... God will use you to bless those you come in contact with.
  • BELIEVE... God will use those you come in contact with to bless you.
  • BELIEVE... this trip will change your life-trajectory.
And know that whatever lies before us we should... 
  • BELIEVE that God has already gone before us.

It makes me think of Beth Moore's study Believing God when she shares, "As forcefully as God has ever spoken to my heart, He said, 'you believe in Me, Beth. Now I want you to believe Me.’”

Believe Me.

And that's what I had to do. Believe God. Believe He would use this suburban house-wife and mother for a divine purpose in Africa…

…whose only assignment was to teach widows how to knit a hat.
…who felt insignificant for the mission. 
…but believing that He would use this willing vessel.



And now that I have returned home I wonder what God would have me do with all He has shown me. And I guess I need to believe that He can use me as much at home as He did there. And that I will pass that message on to those who are willing to hear it.

And that I will encourage those I come in contact with to...

Believe God.

No comments:

Post a Comment