Friday, March 25, 2011

The Death of a Toe

Earlier this week I was away from home when I received a phone call from my husband. In response to my hello I heard, “She’s going to be OK, but I’m taking Sarah to the emergency room.” 

Mental pictures of unconsciousness, lack of breathing, and other what-ifs filled my mind. The reality was her toe had been smashed under the end of a tilt-trailer; the mutilated tip was now hanging by a sliver of skin.

After waiting for about two hours in the emergency room, the doctor determined it was worth trying to save the tip. He cleaned it up and sewed it to the toe. As it heals, we are waiting to see if that tip will reattach itself. If it was detached from the toe for too long and won’t reattach, the tip will die off and decay.

I don’t tell you this story to make your stomach queasy or make your toes curl. (I thought about posting a picture but decided your mental images were probably sufficient.) 

I am working on my next study, “Everything We Need: God's Path to Know Him Better” and saw an interesting verse. I'm writing a lesson on knowing that Jesus of Nazareth was the promised Messiah, or the Christ, based on Acts 2:36. However, verse 31 caught my attention, especially in light of the approaching Easter season.

“Seeing what was ahead, he [David] spoke of the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to the grave, nor did his body see decay” (Acts 2:31).

The tip of Sarah’s toe is quite likely dead and will decay. Whereas her injury was perhaps merely a centimeter across, Jesus body was beaten until He was no longer recognizable.

“Just as there were many who were appalled at him – his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness” (Isaiah 52:14).

Despite the extensiveness of His injuries and despite His literal death, Jesus’ body did not decay. Sarah’s toe started turning dark the very next day after her injury.

Why do I care that the body of a Man who lived 2,000 years ago was not allowed to decay? I live in 2011; why do I care that His body resurrected back to life? 

I care, and honestly rejoice in it because it promises my own resurrection someday and the resurrection of all those who accept Him as their Savior. 

Sarah’s toe may decay now. 

Our bodies will all decay when we experience death.

But, ...


No comments:

Post a Comment