Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Who's in Charge: Considering election results

Out of the mouth of babes.

I just arrived home after running a few errands. As this is Election Day, my final stop was to vote. After leaving the bank, my four year old daughter asked, “Where are we going next?”

I answered, “We’re going to vote.”

“What’s vote?”

Trying to simplify the process down to her childlike level, I replied, “Voting is when the people get to pick who leads our country and who takes care of everything.”

She paused for a minute, probably pondering my answer. Then, she started singing one of her favorite songs from church. She hadn’t sung this song all morning; I haven’t heard her sing it since. But at that moment, after hearing about who leads our country and who takes care of everything, she started singing,

J-E-S-U-S,
No one better from the east to the west,
Higher than the highest,
Better than the best,
J-E-S-U-S.

How’s that for a campaign slogan? I think she may know more than the rest of us.


“Then Daniel praised the God of heaven and said: “Praise be to the name of God forever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning” (Daniel 2:19b-21).

1 comment:

  1. What a sweet post! It's easy to forget that God is the one who sets up rulers (and kicks them out!). He is in control. I'm glad.

    ReplyDelete